DETROIT STYLE PIZZA
● 300 grams or 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour
● 1 package or 8 grams of rapid rise yeast
● 1 teaspoon or 5 grams granulated sugar
● 1 teaspoon or 7 grams salt
● 1 cup or 228 grams warm water, like bath water temperature
● Olive oil, for greasing the pan
● 1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed with your hands
● 3 garlic cloves, minced
● 3 tablespoons olive oil
● Salt, to taste
● 1 tablespoon vegan butter
● 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
● 1⁄3 cup banana peppers or pepperoncinis, from the jar
● Plant Provisions Chipotle Slices, folded or cut into small pepperoni like rounds
● 2-3 cups vegan cheese of choice
- Make your pizza dough -
1. In a large bowl add bread flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and warm water and use your hand or a wooden spoon and mix until a shaggy dough forms.
2. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest for 10 minutes, then knead it on a clean surface until it becomes elastic and smooth.
3. Grease your dirty bowl with olive oil then form the dough into a ball and place into the bowl and cover until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and coat all edges of a traditional Detroit style pizza pan or a 9x13” pan.
5. Gently stretch the dough to the edges of the pan until it begins to shrink back. Cover and let it rest for 25-30 minutes. Stretch the dough back out to the edges of the pan again and then cover and let it rest for 40 minutes while you prepare your other ingredients and preheat the oven to 500F.
- Make your pizza sauce -
1. To a pan with high sides or a pot, add whole peeled tomatoes and crush them with your hands right into the pot. Add minced garlic, olive oil, and a five finger pinch of salt. Bring
it to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is reduced by about 1⁄3, this will take about 20 minutes. Once reduced, stir in the vegan butter. Remove from heat and let cool
before adding it to your pizza.
*Optional: Add a bay leaf while it boils or at the end add black pepper or red pepper flakes and more salt to taste if needed.
- Make your pizza! -
1. Once the dough is fully rested and stretched out, gently press the dough down to release some of the large air bubbles.
2. Top the dough with a layer of Plant Provisions Chipotle rounds or slices and then an even layer of your vegan cheese, adding the cheese all the way to the edges of the pan and then top with red onion slices and peppers.
3. Spread the sauce into two lengthwise rows.
4. Bake at 500F for 12-15 minutes or until the edges begin to look nearly burnt and the cheese is bubbly.
*If your oven doesn’t reach 500F, bake at 475F for 20-22 minutes.