FRIED ZUCCHINI and WALNUT PESTO SMOKEHOUSE PANINI
• 4 slices of preferred sliced bread
• Plant Provisions Smokehouse Slices
• Jarred Roasted Red Peppers
• 1 tablespoon vegan butter
~ Fried Zucchini Batter ~
• 2 zucchini, sliced into planks
• ⅓ cup flour
• 1 tablespoon corn or arrowroot starch
• ½ teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and onion powder
• ½ cup non-dairy milk
~ Fried Zucchini Bread Crumb Mixture ~
• 2 cups bread crumbs
• 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
• ½ teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and dried oregano
• Oil, for frying
~ Creamy Walnut Pesto (Makes appx 2 cups) ~
• ¼ cup nutritional yeast
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• ¼ cup walnuts
• ¾ tsp. salt
• Pepper, to taste
• 6 cups packed basil leaves
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• ¾ cup olive oil
- Make the Pesto -
Add all ingredients except for the basil, lemon juice, and olive oil to a food processor, and give it a quick whir, about 10 seconds. Then, add the basil and lemon juice and turn on the food processor and slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Blend for 20-30 seconds, until everything is combined. *What you don’t finish, will last in the fridge for 5-7 days
- Make the Fried Zucchini -
1. Fill your pot with at least 1 inch of oil and preheat your frying oil to 350F.
2. Cut the ends of the zucchini off and cut into planks.
3. Make the batter. To a mixing bowl add flour, starch, seasonings, and non-dairy milk and stir until you have a smooth, thick batter.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together all of your bread crumbs ingredients.
5. Dip each piece of zucchini into the batter and coat it well, then dip it into the breadcrumbs mixture and coat evenly.
6. Add breaded zucchini planks to your pot, leaving enough room to cook evenly, about 3 minutes until they are golden brown and then place on a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil and hit it with salt as soon as it comes out of the frying pan.
7. Repeat with the remaining zucchini.
- Build your Paninis -
1. Preheat your grill pan or panini maker over medium-high heat. Slather one side of each slice of bread with vegan butter
2. Add pesto on half of the non-buttered side of bread and top with roasted red peppers. Layer on the fried zucchini, and then the Plant Provisions Smokehouse Slices and top with the other slice of bread. Place in your preheated pan and grill for 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with the other panini.